Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dinner and a Show

And by show, I mean trail ride!

I went out today to get Reina, and she was allllllllllll the way on the other side of her paddock. But when I waved and said "Hi, Reina!", she pricked her ears at me and... came walking up to me! Yes!!



She walked right up to me and was all "hi, Mom!" It was adorable. She wandered off shortly after saying hi, but I caught up to her quickly (she was only walking) and brought her in.

I asked Chi if she wanted to go trail riding, but she had so much work to do and was so tired that she said she couldn't. But Laurie (Chi's friend who's staying with her for now) wanted to go, so I went to tack up Rei!





My horse is adorable.

Anyways, we head out on the trail and the first part, Reina feeds off Laurie's horse's nervousness and it's slow going at first. Also, the wild hogs in the field to the left took off running, all the little babies flying around and squealing. Luckily, my horse is sane and didn't freak out. She did stop and look, though!

She proved yet again that clicker training is the best policy with her - she got nervous and I got annoyed, and, of course, that didn't help matters whatsoever. So I chilled and started clicking her for good behavior. She calmed down almost immediately!

A few minutes into the trail ride, both horses calmed down and Reina starts taking the lead as usual. She just needed to find her stride is all! Soon, Laurie and her horse were struggling to keep up with Reina's walk. (Reina is big; Laurie's horse was a little Arab mix, haha.)

Oh, and Laurie was nice enough to take pictures of Rei and I while we were out!! Warning: picture overload incoming!
















I don't know what's up with her tail frizz, as I brush it all the time and stuff, but I guess it had a mind of its own today. I think she's looking pretty good, minus the weight problem. Chi's been having trouble getting weight on a few of the horses, Reina included, and she thinks the last bunch of hay she'd gotten might've been bad. Luckily, spring is here and grass is growing, so hopefully that'll fix the deficit in Reina's diet and she'll get back to a healthy weight.

Otherwise, though, she's perfectly happy! She was very excited to be out on the trail today and was a total pro. There was even a bunch of wild turkeys out on the road towards the end of the ride, and they up and flew off right in front of us! Reina watched, but she didn't stop or even flinch! I was so proud.


Such a smart girl! (Yes, she nicked her eye... somehow. I don't know how, but it was new today. She also had a rub on her butt; I think she was getting feisty before I came out today! lol!)

Laurie and I had a blast out on our ride and talked a bunch. She was great company.

When we got back, we washed off our horses and gave them their dinner. Reina practically vacuumed hers up, haha!

I helped Chi and Laurie bring in the new baby and her momma tonight, too, since there are going to be thunderstorms the next few days and Chi was worried about the little baby. She was so cute!! I got to love on her and help lead her into her new stall. Gosh, she's fricken adorable.

Then, Chi was nice enough to invite me to dinner! It was tons of fun and she's an excellent cook.

Could a better day exist? Hm, I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment