Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Best Day Ever

Please imagine the title of this post sung to the tune they use for the song of the same name on Spongebob. (So, something like, it's the beeeeeeeeest, daaaaaaay, evvvvvvvvvvv-eeeeeeeeeerrrrr! ♪)

So! It really was the best day EVER. I'm sure this will happen a lot with my wonderful horse, but, still. Okay, so the first good thing that happens: she returned to being a snuggle bunny when I came to catch her today. She was happy to see me and rubbed on me before I put her halter on, and dropped her head into my arms and everything. It was adorable. This was all happening inbetween her making grumpy faces at Comanche, who kept getting too close to us. I guess Reina isn't a very good sharer! Honestly, I'm rather touched that my horse doesn't want to share my love.

Anyways! So I brought her in and she walked right into the stall - yay!! - so she got a peppermint (she was very pleased about this). I thought Chi and I were going to trail ride today, but Nick told me that Chi was sick and couldn't come (sad day!). So.. it was just Reina and I. At first, I was like "well, I'll just ride alone." And a little voice in my head said, "pffft! Yeah, last time you did THAT, you fell!" And I responded "you're right. Well... we DO need to work on ground work..." And that's when I was like - what? No! Absolutely not! I'm not going to be scared of riding my horse alone! That's ridiculous thinking, self! I marched myself into the tack room to get my stuff.

I tacked her up, and she was so good with her girthiness! She looked grumpy once - right when I was tightening it for the first time - and then was perfectly happy the rest of the time! I tightened it 3-4 more times and tugged on it, too, just to make sure she wasn't going to get grumpy. But she didn't! Lots of clicks and treats for that!

So I hopped up on her and decided we were going to do something love overdue: trotwork! If we can walk, trot, canter, and gallop with no problems, I figured I should start teaching her how to do these things in the correct way, in response to the correct cue, and only when I ask. So, we set about a loop on the periphery of her paddock.



SHE WAS SO GOOD. I can't emphasize this enough. Do you see the ears? Happy!



And the headset? Long, low, relaxed! A far cry from the horse she used to be - head up in the clouds, looking around everywhere for scary things, grumpy when I asked her to do things...



She moved off with a light squeeze, and not once did she protest all the transitions. I clicked her often, and she'd always come to a stop, reach her neck around, and politely take her treat from my hand.



And she listened when I asked her to stop, too! She still gets excited and will try to break into a jig, or, when we're trotting, trot faster and almost canter. But not once did she actually canter. She listened so well! And towards the end, we really started to get a rhythm going. She kept her head relaxed when I'd ask for the trot, and she wouldn't take off into it - she eased into it more.


We need to work on rhythm more; but that, I think, will come with relaxation. She's so much better, and she was so happy and eager to please me that it made my heart melt. She needs to learn to ease into her gaits more, instead of her sudden I'mwalkingalong OKAY LET'S TROT! kind of thing. It's too much; she lurches. But that's okay. At least she's going. Relaxed. Happy. And listening. The fine tuning will come!



Overall, a HUGE GIANT success for our first real trotwork. My buttons were popping. Nick's fiancĂ©e, Heather, saw me riding Reina for the first time like this, us doing trot work and transitions. She was shocked when I told her I'd only had her for 4-5 weeks, and had only been riding for 2-3 weeks. And that this was the first time we were actually working on trotting. She said we looked like we'd been riding together forever. It was so sweet, and I was so happy to know that we look as good as we feel together!

So, while I'm doing this, Nick says that he, Heather, and a new boarder Ann are going on a trail ride and invites me along. I said yes, because, hey, why not? At first I was worried, because Reina and I had already trotted for a bit - we'd been working for... 15-20 minutes? And I was going to do a little more work and call it a day, as I didn't want to overdo it. But she wasn't acting tired, and wasn't very warm when I felt her (a little, bit not a bit) and hadn't even broken a sweat but under her tack. So... why not? We were only going to walk anyway, and she does so enjoy trail rides!

I thought going with a bigger group of horses would be good experience for her, too. And it was. There were a handful of times where she made like she wanted to bite someone or kick someone, but I was like, noooo, we do not do that while I'm on you. Absolutely not. So she learned who she liked to be next to and kept with them - turns out she didn't mind the mean palomino mare Heather was riding, so Heather and I got the chance to chat! She was extremely impressed with Reina and I's progress once I told her the whole story. I was so happy to share! I'm so proud of my girl!


AND she called Reina pretty, which I'm sure did not fall on deaf ears. My adorable, vain mare!

Ick, blurriness! 

Reina was a gem, though. (Apart from her bossiness.) She didn't spook once. And we got out in front, partially so Rei would stop making faces at one of the other mares, and partially because I wanted to work on her bravery, anyways. It was a win/win. She did perfectly out front - cruising along in her happy, swinging, I'm-boss-mare-and-I-approve-of-this-trail-ride walk. I'd say she likes trail rides more than rides on the property, but really, she's just so happy all the time, no matter what we're doing!


Which bodes well for me. I mean, I love that my horse and I love riding together, period. It's such a wonderful feeling when you have a willing partner!

Jeffrey was running interference up front!

She looks so silly with her mane half on each side; it's so cute! It bobs with her walk and it makes me love her even more!


But anyways; yes. She was happy to do trotwork; oh so relaxed and excited; and now she's happy to trail ride! She's going to be my all-around whatever-you-feel-like horse. Well, really, she already kinda is!


The trail was beautiful today. We rode it backwards; I'm not sure if Rei recognized it or not (I assume she did), but either way, she was super good. Birds sang, 2 cars passed, dogs ran up and barked at us... she barely flinched! No spooking, no stopping to stare (well, okay; she did this once, but went on when I urged her so it doesn't technically count - nobody had to pass her to make her go!). Such a good girl!!!




So, for most of the ride, we were up in front, and Reina was cruisin'. We just enjoyed one another's company as we walked along the trail. I petted her, and she, in return, was totally relaxed.



During the tail end of the trail ride, Heather caught up to us again and we started talking again. The palomino she was riding was groovin' 'cause she knew we were headed home, but Reina seemed oblivious. Either she didn't know, or didn't care. Heather was impressed again. Heck, even I was impressed! But honestly, after all this mare has overcome, I'm really not. She's so smart, sweet, sane, and just.. good! She never ceases to amaze me but, at the same time, I've stopped expecting her to be silly.. because she's not. Which is amazing, because feeling safe with a horse is the #1 thing you want! Especially when it's yours to keep forever.


I'm so blessed to have her! I never thought she'd be such a good choice for my forever partner, but she just keeps proving herself time and time again. I think I've learned by now to stop doubting us, because she and I... well... we go pretty darn well together, I think!

So we get home and I walk her into her stall to untack her. That's right - I walk her into her stall. She stopped, and fussed a teensy bit, but with a little encouragement, she walked right in. I gave her a peppermint for her effort; for choosing to trust me and do as I ask! What a good girl!!

I untacked her and took her out of said stall again so I could rinse her off. She was sweaty under her saddle and girth, so I rinsed her off well. I then let her drink out of the hose, because she's a dork and loves to drink out of that dang hose. She makes me laugh!

Then, I brought her back into her stall. This time, she walked right in with little urging from me. Another peppermint! I think we've made real progress in the stall situation!

I brought her her dinner and sat in a plastic side next to her stall to watch her.




I left it a little open so she could come visit (and she did). She also seems to be less uptight when she can stick her nose out and take a good look around. I don't blame her.

Then we watched the sunset together and I turned her back out. She rubbed against me and loved on me before she left me for her water bucket.



The perfect end to a perfect day!

2 comments:

  1. New to the blog. Sounds like you had a good ride! Reina seems like a very nice mare, and she's definitely a pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Welcome! :D

    Thanks so much! I'll pass along the compliment, I'm sure she'll appreciate it. ;) Yes, she's amazing, and things only keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete