Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hello Out There!

Hello, interwebs. You can call me Kae (pronounced "kay").

I'm new to this whole blogging thing so please bear with me. Let me be up front and say: this is a horsey blog! Its sole purpose is to help measure the progress my new horse and I make over the course of oh, well, however long I feel like. I thought it might be nice to share, and to be able to look back in a few months and note actual progress. I might even inspire someone along the way.

So, I'll start by introducing my new horse: her name is Mighty. This will be changed as soon as she's properly mine (please pass the PPE, please pass the PPE!), but I haven't yet decided on a name. She's an eight year old thoroughbred mare. She's never been raced or bred that her current owners know of. She's at least 16hh tall. She's currently a backyard, out-of-work trail horse (who hasn't actually been ridden in an awfully long time). When her owner's husband contact me through email, he sent me these:




So... she doesn't look like much, but she's a heck of a lot prettier than most of my other prospects. And cheaper. So I decided to go see her.
This is the video of her current owner trotting her about for me:


Hopefully this works.

She tosses her head, has a short and choppy stride, bucks when you ask for a canter, is generally stubborn about steering, is very sticky in her transitions (as in, you-can-kick-me-all-you-want-but-I-still-ain't-trottin' kind of sticky), and is a pain in the butt to catch. But for some reason, I love her. She's smart, quiet in spite of her jerkiness, very sweet on the ground (and in the saddle... when she's getting her way), has a lovely baby doll head (see end of video!), loves peppermints (I consider this to be a dealbreaker when horse shopping! ...okay, not really, but almost.), and I see loads of potential in her. So I'm going to get her. By my reckoning, a tack change (as the saddle doesn't fit her correctly and the bit is far too harsh for her soft mouth) and some consistency and she'd be a gem. I hope I'm not wrong (this has been known to happen)!

Slightly off-topic: I'm a college student (low on time, and low on money. Yay!). I've ridden for as long as I can remember (I started when I was 5 - classic example of "horse fever"). I used to do hunter/jumpers, but have recently gotten interested in dressage and eventing (although God knows I haven't actually done either... except for that one dressage lesson, that one time...). So I'm going to train her to do what I know, for now - hunter/jumper. Trail riding. Lots of bonding and bareback riding!

But one thing's for sure. She needs a ton of groundwork and flatwork before we ever get to the over fences part of her training. But hopefully she'll love jumping as much as I do!

Oh, and there's another catch. I'm going to be training her in hunter/jumper and (very) low level dressage in a side pull bitless bridle. Basically, a rope halter with reins. And I'm going to be clicker training her from the ground up. More on why I went from the hunter A circuit to rope halters and clicker training in a later post (no, it's not just lack of money! haha).

Now, I must stop procrastinating and go to sleep so I can be somewhat awake for the first day of classes tomorrow.

Heres to possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment